POLL RESULTS: POLITICS AND MUSIC
The recent Avenged Sevenfold-sparked debate about politics’ place in music has been settled, once and for all. Here are the results from our poll:
- “Yes, it’s important that the kids hear political messages from sources that they pay attention to.”
26 votes (21%)
- “I don’t like it, but it’s important that musicians should be able to write about whatever they want.”
38 votes (31%)
- “It’s ok for musicians to write about politics so long as they don’t preach outside of their music.”
19 votes (16%)
- “No way, music and politics should be two completely separate things.”
5 votes (4%)
- “There’s nothing wrong with it, but sometimes they just need to shut the fuck up. I’m looking at you, Dave Mustaine.” *added by a reader*
33 votes (27%)
Touche, touche. We can’t say we appreciate artists going off about politics, but you gotta be able to say what you want to say. Also, the user-added choice — last, above — was surprisingly popular. That’s where my vote would’ve gone if it had been added earlier.
What polls would you like to see posted here? Email vince [at] metalsucks.net with ideas.