70,000 TONS… OF UPDATES!
Dude windmilling in the jacuzzi as some band plays behind him. Jacuzzis = metal.
Our brothas and sista at Metal Injection are having a grand ol’ time on the 70,000 Tons of Metal cruise, which by now you’ve surely heard about: a 4-day cruise from Miami to Cozumel and back featuring close to 50 metal bands on three stages, many of them playing more than once. You can imagine the scene… lots and lots and lots of black t-shirts.
MI’s Rob, Frank and Noa are posting regular liveblog updates from their voyage by continuing to add updates to this page. Among some amusing highlights:
- Check out this video of the scene before the storm. So many black t-shirts!
- Nevermore and Sanctuary both fucking killed it. Says Noa, “It was great seeing Jim [Shephard] with a bass in his hand instead of quarters for the slot machines.”
- Other band highlights: Fear Factory on the outdoor stage, Iced Earth.
- Folk/pagan metal on a boat is totally next level. Finntroll, Ensiferum, and Tyr were all epic. Finntroll’s guitarist was so wasted that his on-stage gaffes ended up being entertainment in and of themselves.
- Unleashed’s vocalist missed the boat (literally), but the band pulled it off well and had Primordial’s vocalist fill in on one song.
We can’t wait to hear about the rest of the insanity as it develops. Will some drunken metalhead fall off the deck? Will Team Metal Injection indulge Dino in a battle to see who can eat the most ribs in one sitting? Stay tuned.