NEW VOIVOD SOUNDS LIKE OLD VOIVOD & MAKES THIS OLD VOIVOD FAN FEEL LIKE A NEW VOIVOD FAN
Cool things about this live footage of Voivod trying out a new song called “Kaleidos” — (Thanks to MS reader Leslie for the correct song title) — at the Roadburn Festival this past Friday, April 15, in Tillburg, Holland:
- Snake reads from his lyric tablet;
- Dan Mongrain sounds so much like Piggy it’s almost supernatural;
- Away makes more sounds come out of his tiny drumkit than most so-called technical drummers these days can conjure up out of their 57-piece monstrosities;
- Snake prowls the stage like a starving feral dog;
- Blacky is back!;
- It reminds me of Dimension Hatröss-era Voivod;
- These guys pour out more energy than most bands half their age;
- The crowd seems rather complacent — until they unleash a collective roar of approval at the end;
- The awesome Away-illustrated hellscape backdrop;
- I’m flashing back to 1990 when I caught Voivod headline over Soundgarden and Faith No More (and blew them both away — no pun intended) at The Backroom in Austin, Texas.
Corey Mitchell is a best-selling author of several true crime books. He also would like to thank the late Jim Ramsey for bringing Voivod (and so many other great metal bands) to Austin. RIP!