Here’s What’s Inside The Slayer Metal Eagle Edition of Repentless
I, like many Americans, have a complicated relationship with Slayer merch. And when Slayer announced that they were releasing their new album, Repentless*, in a limited-edition metal version of their eagle logo, I had to deal with some twisted issues surrounding it, which included a burning knowledge to know what was inside. To determine what the fuck was inside that goddamn eagle.
Today, the band has announced the contents of the insane seven-pound collector’s item. The aluminum-alloy box will contain the following:
- A deluxe digipack of the album that unfolds into an inverted cross (Ungh)
- A bonus Blu-Ray and DVD that has Slayer’s Wacken 2014 performance, as well as a documentary on the making of the new album which will no doubt contain some heartbreaking Jeff Hanneman stuff (UNGH)
- A bonus CD of the aforementioned Wacken live performance (…eh)
- A fold-out poster (YEEEAAAH BOYEEE)
- An album sticker (PUT IT ON MY PONTIAC!)
- And a numbered certificate (Oh, fuck)
To be fair, this is not exactly the sordid bacchanalia of Slayer merch that I had hoped and dreamed for (how could it have ever been, though?). But a) it bears mentioning that the box itself is an incredible piece of merch, and b) it has that fucking numbered certificate in it. The other stuff is for the amateurs; the true, sick-in-the-head collectors know that it’s all about that certificate. That piece of paper says, Ownership. It says, This piece of insane limited merch belongs to me and only me.
You can preorder the metal eagle edition here. Repentless comes out on 9/11.
*Still what it’s called.