Toxicology Report: Scott Weiland Died of an Accidental Overdose
Toxicology reports from The Hennepin County Medical Examiner in Minneapolis have now confirmed what most already suspected: former Stone Temple Pilots/Velvet Revolver vocalist Scott Weiland died of an accidental overdose of cocaine, ethanol and, methylenedioxyamphetamine (MDA, not to be confused with MDMA, or ecstasy — they’re both psychotropic drugs, but they’re not the same thing). Other factors cited in Weiland’s death were his asthma and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.
Weiland struggled with sobriety for years, and police found a veritable pharmacy in his tour bus bedroom after he died. Although his wife, Jamie Wachtel, swore that he was clean, no one really bought it — including Weiland’s ex-wife, Mary Forsberg, and their children, who have been paying the price for Weiland’s addiction for years. In an open letter published last week, Forsberg and the kids implored fans not to glorify the singer’s death. The results of the toxicology report confirm that this is sound advice. How many more of our heroes must we lose to drugs?