Wheatus Launch “QuaranTeenageDirtbag” Cover Challenge
“Teenage Dirtbag” is an iconic rock track, one that transcends genre and time that immediately endeared itself to metalheads upon its 2000 release thanks to its repeated high-profile shout-outs to Iron Maiden. And, let’s be honest, its entire catchy-as-fuck singalong chorus.
Now Wheatus, the band who wrote it, are doing their part to keep the quarantined masses entertained by launching the #quaranteenagedirtbag challenge, inviting fans to cover the classic song for an eventual compilation video.
Explains the band via Facebook:
“CALLING ALL MUSICIANS AND SINGERS!!
“People have been sending us lots of #quaranteenagedirtbag Wheatus covers, so we thought we’d open it up to everyone and join together in a fun project.
“SO. Here’s what you have to do:
“Record a video of yourself playing/singing along to Teenage Dirtbag.
“Here are the rules:
– You have to play along to our actual song, so that everyone keeps to the same key and timing
– Try and only get the audio of you in the video, not our song. We’re interested in hearing YOU, not us! (You can achieve this by having our recording playing in headphones so the video doesn’t pick it up)
– You can play any instrument for this!
– Harmonies are welcome!
– You do NOT have to sing and play at the same time! And in fact, it’ll be easier for us to mix it if you don’t sing and play at the same time. If you do want to submit vocals and instrument, just record two separate videos and send them both.
– You don’t have to play the parts exactly as they are on the original. Especially if you play an instrument that isn’t in a traditional rock band. Got a hankering for a tasty bass lick? Go for it? You play a trumpet and you wanna bust a trumpet solo? Do it! Not much of a singer but you’re a star beatboxer? Go on then!
– When your video is done, email it to us at [email protected]
“We’ll keep submissions open for a few days or until we get enough! Then we’ll compile them all into one big glorious mashup compilation choir band soup. Or something like that.
“Ask here if you have any questions!”
I haven’t been able to find any uploads so far that are tagged #quaranteenagedirtbag, but YouTube is rife with older covers of this track. For inspiration, here’s one by a nerdy-looking dude with a voice of gold:
And here’s the original, with 168 million views (!), in case you need a little morning rock out sesh:
I highly recommend giving Wheatus a follow on Twitter, btw — solid follow, always entertaining content.