Metallica Announce “San Francisco Takeover” Event for 40th Anniversary
To coincide with two previously announced December shows in their native Bay Area to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the band, Metallica have announced a series of events in their hometown dubbed the Metallica San Francisco Takeover.
Those events include:
- Dec 16: White Reaper and Taipei Houston (featuring Lars Ulrich’s sons) @ August Hall
- Dec 17: The Wedding Band (featuring Kirk Hammett and Robert Trujillo alongside other notable metal musicians), Goodnight Texas and Bastardane @ The Fillmore
- Dec 18: Metallica: The Black Album in Black and White book signing and gallery show @ The Elk’s Lodge with photographer Ross Halfin
- Dec 18: Film Fest @ The AMC Kabuki (Cliff ’Em All, Cunning Stunts and Orgullo, Pasión y Gloria: Tres Noches En La Ciudad de México)
- Dec 18: Ottto, Taipei Houston, Bastardane @ The Chapel
- Dec 18: ‘… And Tributes For All’ @ Bimbo’s 365 Club featuring Metallica tribute bands Damage Inc., Motorbreath and Sandman
- Dec 18: Kamasi Washington and DJ Dials @ August Hall
If the December 18 slate looks particularly loaded, that’s because it’s the day between the two proper Metallica performances at the Chase Center. So there will be lots to do for travelers and locals alike for three straight nights!
San Francisco proof of vaccination and mask requirements apply to all events.
Tickets go on sale this Friday, November 19 at 10 AM PST. A very limited number of “Takeover the 40th” upgrades will also be available on Friday to folks who purchased tickets for the Metallica shows.
Metallica spent much of 2021 celebrating the 30th anniversary of the Black Album will some special edition releases. They have also been deep in “some pretty serious writing” for their next album since last November with the most recent update, indicating ten songs were partially written, coming this past May via frontman James Hetfield.