Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi Wandering British University Campus, Babbling About the Good Old Days
Metal Injection reports that after awarding him an honorary degree by Coventry University last year, that same institution has now named Black Sabbath’s Tony Iommi Visiting Professor of Music. So, that means he’ll be teaching classes, right?
Doesn’t seem that way: the article goes on to state that Iommi has “already walked around the campus and answered students’ and professors’ questions about his role in music over the past 50 years.” Metal Insider adds that Iommi “plans on returning to the school in the Fall.” So when they say he’s a “visiting professor,” they are not dicking around… he visits for hours at a time! All you need to do in order to take advantage of his position is wander around campus and hope you see him also wandering around campus.
Basically pointless though this sounds, a guy who has been doing this for as long as Iommi has must know a thing or two about a thing or two. Luckily, we were able to get ahold of a MetalSucks reader who is not only a student at Coventry, but encountered Iommi in the mens’ room, where he got the following nuggets of wisdom:
- “Wait… did I already go, or do I still have to go?”
- “The drummer is unimportant.”
- “Why did I come in here?”
- “The singer is a little important.”
- “Where am I? Who are you?
- “Marrying someone who has the same first name as you makes it much easier to remember when you start to get old and daft. Although [laughs], I’ve managed to stay pretty sharp myself.”
- “[fiddling with the sink] I can’t seem to get this damned telly on, can you please help?”
So set a reminder for about six months from now, students of Coventry, to keep your eyes peeled for Tony Iommi on your campus. This is an opportunity you don’t want to miss (for any reason other than that you didn’t happen upon him at any point)!!!