L O S T WITH AS I LAY DYING’S NICK HIPA: WILL ALL OF OUR QUESTIONS BE ANSWERED?
As most of you know last night was a rerun of “Ab Aeterno,” the awesome-answer-filled-brilliantly-acted-question-answering-Richard-centric episode that rocked our drawers several weeks ago. I didn’t end up watching it but lurked about the internet to find out what the “Enhanced” rerun disclosed; these are some of the things that they confirmed:
– Isabella on the Black Rock was confirmed to be Nemesis (something we suspected and agreed on already)
– Nemesis’s manipulation of Richard was his first attempt at finding his crease
– Jacob’s touch to Richard while discussing the wine analogy is definitely what brought him agelessness (thereby implying that other gifts were given to our LOSTIES (i.e. Hugo talking to dead people))
– MIB is not able to leave the Island after killing Jacob because of the potential candidates
– The Doctor was conning Richard for money because Isabella had TB and antibiotics weren’t commonly used until after WWII (especially in the Canary Islands)
– Richard is another person brought to the island who has been directly or indirectly responsible for the death of someone.
A lot of this stuff we’ve already assumed but at least it was nice to have it absolutely validated. On the topic of being rewarded with answers for quite possibly hundreds of hours of our lives being invested into the shows’ many mysteries and questions; I’m sad to say that we will definitely be left hanging.
This is probably the most un-credible and illegitimate form of making such a claim, but here is my reasoning…
I’ve got a surfing buddy in Hawaii who by extreme luck and chance ended up working his way into the media producing hierarchy back in Oahu. Being a person who has never seen an episode of LOST, his response to my question of “Hey, since you were there for the filming, was the last episode sick!?” Was a simple “Dude, I have no idea what’s going on… seriously I don’t watch the show.” He then proceeded to tell me that they blatantly did not answer a lot of questions for one specific reason: DVD sales. Apparently, the complete LOST box set will feature countless hours of additional footage to answer the wildest of all our quandaries, but to have our minds put at ease and our lives fulfilled we will have to fork over box-set money. I’m not trying to be super negative or to bum everyone out, I’m just preparing you for a potential let down for an understandable but reproachable cause: profit.
I guess what’s really sad (or humorous depending on how you look at it) is that I’m completely fine with this. I will continue to geek out on every aspect of the show through the finale, and when the time comes sell some gear, half a kidney, and a good amount of blood plasma to acquire said box set.
I hope you all have a killer week and are getting juiced for “The Candidate.”
As I Lay Dying’s new album, The Powerless Rise, will be out May 11 on Metal Blade. Why not find out if Nick is candidate on AILD’s MySpace page?