These Were the 22 Highest-Selling Metal Albums of 2016
Metallica had six of last year’s twenty-two highest-selling metal albums. Which is kind of amazing, given that they only released one new album in 2016.
Of course, such is the state of the modern music business. Just as depressing, if unsurprising: only eight of the twenty-two releases came out in 2016… and Hardwired was the year’s best-selling metal album, despite coming out in mid-November. Even given several months’ head start, many of metal’s biggest bands simply could not compete. The second-best selling release of the year that actually came out during the year was Megadeth’s Dystopia, and that was still outsold by a good portion of Metallica’s back catalogue. I’m sure Dave Mustaine is thrilled.
Also, I legit had no idea Pierce the Veil were so popular. Wow.
You can check out the list of 2016’s twenty-two highest-selling metal albums below, courtesy of Metal Insider. Full disclosure: I removed a couple of their entries for being “not metal enough” (e.g., Bon Jovi, Journey, etc.), so you might wanna head over there to see what else made the cut. They’ve also got some good analysis regarding each album’s sales as well.
- Metallica, Hardwired… To Self Destruct (Blackened Recordings)
- Disturbed, Immortalized (Reprise)
- Metallica, Metallica (Blackened Recordings)
- Metallica, Master of Puppets (Blackened Recordings)
- Metallica, …And Justice For All (Blackened Recordings)
- Metallica, Ride the Lightning (Blackened Recordings)
- Megadeth, Dystopia (Tradecraft/uME)
- Five Finger Death Punch, Got Your Six (Prospect Park)
- Avenged Sevenfold, The Stage (Capitol)
- Guns N’ Roses, Greatest Hits (Interscope/Geffen)
- Deftones, Gore (Reprise)
- Skillet, Unleashed (Atlantic)
- Volbeat, Seal the Deal & Lets Boogie (Republic)
- AC/DC, Back in Black (Columbia)
- Guns N’ Roses, Appetite For Destruction (Interscope/Geffen)
- Nirvana, Nevermind (Interscope/DGC)
- Trans-Siberian Orchestra, The Ghosts of Christmas Eve (Atlantic)
- Shinedown, Threat to Survival (Atlantic)
- Pierce the Veil, Misadventures (Fearless)
- Metallica, Kill ’em All (Blackened Recordings)
- A Day To Remember, Bad Vibrations (ADTR)
- Korn, The Serenity of Suffering (Roadrunner)