ANOTHER GREAT REASON TO GO TO SXSW: PHIL ANSELMO, METALSUCKS’ OWN COREY MITCHELL, AND MORE TO DISSECT TRUE CRIME FILMS
You’ve known for some time that MetalSucks’ own Corey Mitchell is collaborating with Phil Anselmo on the legendary front man’s autobiography; hopefully you’re already familiar with Corey’s work not just via MS, but through his excellent true crime books, such as Savage Son and Pure Murder. If you’re not, you can check ’em all out here.
Corey is now combining his various passions into one awesome event at 2011’s South by Southwest festival: Corey will moderate the fest’s “Reel Murder: From Crime Scene to Big Screen” panel, which will discuss “how murder has become big business in Hollywood.” In addition to Corey and Mr. Anselmo, panelists will include John McNaughton, who directed one of the most infamous true crime films ever made, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer, Ami Canaan Mann, daughter of filmmaker Michael Mann (Manhunter, Heat, Public Enemies) and director of the upcoming true crime film The Fields, and Hart D. Fisher, director of the serial killer thriller The Garbage Man.
The event will take place on March 15, and sounds like it’s gonna be a blast. You can get all the pertinent details here, and check out the official press release after the jump!
AUSTIN, Texas, November 29, 2010
International best-selling true crime author Corey Mitchell is proud to announce the esteemed speakers for his “Reel Murder: From Crime Scene to Big Screen” panel for the 2011 SXSW Film Festival, scheduled for March 15, 2011.
Mitchell has gathered together some of the biggest, brightest, and most controversial names in true crime filmmaking including (in alphabetical order):
- PHILIP H. ANSELMO – former lead singer of Pantera/frontman for Down. Anselmo is a huge supporter of true crime-based films and composer of the underground cult classic, The Manson Family;
- HART D. FISHER – the “most dangerous man in America” and notorious director of the indie serial killer feature, The Garbage Man. Fisher is the publisher of Boneyard Press comics and creator of the infamous Jeffrey Dahmer comic book;
- AMI CANAAN MANN – daughter of Manhunt director, Michael Mann, and a rising new director with her upcoming true crime-based film, The Fields, about several unsolved serial killings along I-45 in Texas, featuring Sam Worthington, Chloe Moretz, and Jeffrey Dean Morgan;
- JOHN McNAUGHTON – acclaimed director of Mad Dog and Glory and Wild Things. Creator of one of the most revered true crime-based films of all time, Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer;
- COREY MITCHELL, moderator – Los Angeles Times best-selling true crime author of several books including Pure Murder and Savage Son. Founder of Reel Crime and In Cold Blog, and former Hollywood crime blogger for the Discovery Channel.
WHERE: SXSW 2011 Film Festival
Austin Convention Center
WHEN: Tuesday, March 15, 2011
For more information about “Reel Murder,” go here.