News Round-Up: Nails, Marty Friedman, Neurosis, Extol, DevilDriver, Broken Hope… and Car Bomb Singer Saves a Kitty from Drowning
Hello again, everybody!
We’re still not doing regular updates through the holidays — Axl locked himself into his Annex last night for a continuous marathon of all six Lord of the Rings / Hobbit movies, I found Anso DF passed out on the MS Mansion steps this morning, bottle of Nightrain and keys in hand (that extra step is sometimes the hardest one!) and Emperor Rhombus is currently MIA after running around pantsless with MS Mansion Monkey leader Higgins whilst muttering something about Colorado — but a few things happened over the past couple of days we thought you might want to know about.
- Nails released two new songs, both of which appear on the flexi disc included in the February issue of Decibel Magazine and total two whole minutes of running time. Stream them both here. Nails’ Nuclear Blast Records debut is expected in fall 2015.
- Marty Friedman released a new video for his track “Undertow.” It features a young woman channeling the spirit of her dead brother through martial arts — very Japanese!
- That Extol documentary we told you about back in February finally has a release date: April 7th, via DVD on Indie Recordings. Should be interesting — there’s something inherently fascinating about this band.
- DevilDriver have found a new drummer and guitarist after losing John Boecklin and Jeff Kendrick earlier this year, although they (aka Dez) won’t say who the replacements are.
- Scott Kelly revealed in an interview that Neurosis will begin writing a new album in February and likely have a summer tour in the works for 2015.
- Broken Hope Bassist Shaun Glass and guitarist Chuck Wepfer both quit the band, allegedly to concentrate on their new project together, The Bloodline. This after Broken Hope’s early 2014 headlining tour with Oceano, Fallujah and Rivers of Nihil fell apart at the seams midway through.
- Finally, Car Bomb singer Michael Dafferner saved a cat from drowning in an Amsterdam canal during the band’s European tour with Meshuggah, and someone caught the incident on video. That poor kitty!!
Merry Christmas, Christians amongst you!