Nine Things That Occurred to Me While Watching the New Powerman 5000 Video
My recent post about the latest Powerman 5000 song, “Sid Vicious in a Dress” proved to be quite popular. Whether that was because of the silly headline or renewed general interest in Powerman 5000 isn’t clear, but it was enough to inspire me to dive deeper with the video they just released for that song. So, here goes.
- LOL at these guys still trying to pull off the “I’m so bad” / rebel angle — look at the women in the “NOT NICE” jacket, ooohhhh edgy!
- Kidding aside, the more I think about it, the more I’m convinced that Powerman 5000 and their ilk — ’90s industrial, loosely speaking — are poised to experience a revival. It’s been bubbling up at “goth nights” at dance clubs across the U.S. for the past year, and that renaissance is about to cross over into the metal world in a serious way. Just watch.
- Spider = a less sexy (but still reasonably sexy) Billy Idol. He’s even got similar vocal range
- I’m actually totally digging on these guys’ 2017 style and aesthetic
- Holy shit it’s a PRS guitar, don’t see those in metal videos very often anymore
- Fantastic “Hey!” at the 2:04 mark
- Oh my god the baseball bat scene hahahaha A++
- These guys would be a ton of fun to see live
- Yeah, this stuff’s coming back, no doubt about it.
New album New Wave arrives October 27th via Pavement Entertainment; pre-order here.